Home » Posts tagged 'WA State'
Tag Archives: WA State
The devastating Washington Mudslide is making national news this week, but many of my friends from outside of WA aren’t sure where Oso, Darrington and Arlington are. Roughly speaking, the mudslide is happening in the mountains about an hour’s drive from Seattle.
Understanding the geography of another state is difficult. I’m not very good with Arkansas , Vermont, or Ohio geography, because I’ve never been there. So here’s a crash course in WA geography in 60 seconds or less.
- Seattle (think Space Needle)
- Bellevue (think Microsoft)
- Tacoma (think the Tacoma Dome)
- Everett, Renton and Kent (think Boeing)
- Spokane (think close-to-Idaho)
- Olympia (the capitol)
- A huge, gigantic estuary coming into WA from the Pacific Ocean and Salish Sea (picture rocky beaches with mountain views)
- Mt. Rainier (duh!)
- Olympic National Park (Bella and Edward’s backyard)
- North Cascades National Park (pristine wilderness)
- Western WA can be cold and rainy (think, good place to fish)
- Eastern WA is almost like a dessert (think, good place to pick peaches)
Okay, now take a look at Google maps and you’ll have a much better understanding of where the mudslide happened.
This is a very sad time for our beautiful state. My heart and prayers go out to the people of Oso, Darrington and Arlighton.