Today my 4-year-old and I got out Cooking Is Cool: Heat-Free Recipes for Kids to Cook by Marianne Dambra. I am a little disappointed in the book because it doesn’t have step-by-step pictures for children to follow and it uses a lot of food coloring. But the full color illustrations of each recipe are nice.
Here’s our version of Butterfly Salad. The actual recipe called for dyed cottage cheese, which I thought was gross, so we used grapes instead.
- lettuce leaf
- pineapple rings
- cottage cheese
- grapes or berries
- celery stalk (the body)
- 1 olive (the head)
- a carrot or bell pepper (the antennae)
Math Skills Involved:
- fractions (cut the pineapple rings in half)
- comparisons (more cottage cheese, less cottage cheese)
- ordinal numbers (first you do this, second you do that, etc.)
- symmetry (the goal is to make the wings look the same)
This recipe took about twenty minutes to make. My daughter and I both had a lot of fun!