Home » Technology » How to move from Blog.com to WordPress

How to move from Blog.com to WordPress

Take THAT Blog.com!

Take THAT Blog.com!

I’m not an expert, just a horribly dissatisfied Blog.com customer. If you are in that situation too, this post is for you.

In the past 24 hours I’ve moved Teaching My Baby to Read from Blog.com to WordPress and all of my contact is intact.

This is what I did:

1) I opened up a WordPress.com account. (I think this was $99 for the year.)
2) I waited for Blog.com to be working. (Good luck with this step.)
3) In the Dashboard of my Blog.com blog, I clicked on “Tools”. Then I clicked on “Export”.
4) I saved my entire blog as an “XML” file onto the hard drive of my computer.
5) In the Dashboard of my new WordPress blog, I clicked on “Tools”. Then I clicked on “Inport”.
6) I imported the XML file of my old blog into my new one.
7) Ten minutes later, everything was transferred.

I still have a tremendous amount of work to do to update links, Pinterest etc, but it could be worse. At least I have all of my content.

1. Kerry anne says:

Thank you for this, I shall be doing the same when blog.com is back up and running

2. Illona says:

If people were to type in my blog.com address, will they then be automatically directed to the new host? Thanks! I have not been able to access for more than a week. Very frustrating.

• I don’t believe so. 😦

What I did was when my blog.com site was up (yesterday, but it’s down again today), I put a post that said “I’ve moved.” Then on this new WordPress site, I tried to choose a layout and background color that was similar to my Blog.com site. Hopefully that helps.

Also, don’t forget that after you start a new website you still have to submit your site to Yahoo, Google etc. I did that yesterday too. Just in the past six hours this new site “http://teachingmybabytoread.com” is showing up when I Google “Teaching My Baby to Read”. But my old site, “http://teachingmybabytoread.blog.com” is showing up too, ahead of my new site.

So for a while I’ll be competing against myself whenever somebody Googles “Teaching My Baby to Read”.

I’m glad I moved even though it’s a hassle. Blog.com seems to be crashing and burning all around.

3. Illona says:

Thank you so much. 🙂

4. Thank you, you are a legend, Blog.com is rubbish! Now to try and recupe my money spent with them!

5. Lulu says:

Can you keep your original blog name? I just started mine but like my name!

6. And does this mean I’ll finally be able to leave you comments regularly now?

7. howardhochhalter says:

WOO HOO! It worked!

8. brindanaidu says:

Thank you for this. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed that blog.com revives itself soon enough for me to export all my stuff out and onto WordPress.