Today Bruce(7), Jenna(3) and I made homemade lava lamps. It was great follow up to our oil spill experiment from last week.
- glass or plastic bottles with a lid (I used mason jars)
- food coloring
- cheap cooking oil
- Alka-seltzer tablets
- Fill your jar with about half oil and half water,
- Add 10 drops of food coloring, or maybe a little less.
- Then add a little bit of Alka-Seltzer tablet. Don’t add too much or your whole jar might explode!!!
- Close the lid and watch what happens.
Talking Points for Children
- Do the oil and water mix?
- Does the food coloring mix with the water?
- Does the food coloring mix with the oil?
- What happens when you drop in the Alka-seltzer tablets?
- What happens when you close the lid?
- What do the bubbles do?